Friday, March 30, 2012

Alex butler at Abbas Hilmi II


They were traveling around a lot, but not to Egypt. The stay in Egypt was barred for the khedive  because of the English.
In my documents I found postcards from  Constantinopel, Chamonix, and letters from London and Paris. Here  is a letter which he wrote to his mother from London:
 
 
 
Alex letter from first class hotel in London
 
 

Claridges Brook Street, W1
Dear mother!
You will be surprised where I am. Currently I am in London and I live in the finest hotel, my room is somewhat dark, but it has a bathroom. There is enough work.
The crossing was very good. Yesterday morning at six  we (the maid and I) were dirven in a  Rolls Royce from Paris to Calais, and there we were shipped along with the car and embarked  n Dover. I was not seasick.
 
In the evening I had to prepare the tuxedo for his Majesty  and then expect him. On Wednesday evening I was at Madame Piraud what was a great  joy to me, she will also write. London it is very dirty,  that is the whole impression from my hotel room.  Paris is much nicer.
 
In mid-October we will travel  to Toulouse, but before that to Zurich or Lucerne. From Toulouse we will embark again.
For today, because you do not write me, I hope everything is fine and you are warmly greeted by
your Alex
 
 
 
Chamonix ca 1934



 
Front postard to Alex

 
Sie reisten sehr viel herum, nur nicht nach Ägypten. Der Aufenthalt in Ägypten war dem Khediven ja wegen der Engländer verwehrt. Ich habe in meinen Dokumenten Karten von Constantinopel, Chamonix, und Briefe von London und Paris gefunden. Hier folgt ein Brief, den er aus London an seine Mutter schrieb:
 
Claridges Brook Street W 1
Liebe Mutter!
Du staunst, nicht wahr, wo ich überall hinkomme, momentan bin ich in London und wohne im feinsten Hotel, mein Zimmer ist zwar etwas dunkel, aber es hat ein Badezimmer. Es gibt genug Arbeit.
Die Überfahrt war sehr gut. Gestern früh um sechs Uhr sind wir (die Zofe und ich) per Rolls Royce von Paris nach Calais gefahren und dort wurden wir mitsamt dem Auto eingeschifft und in Dover wieder aus. Ich wurde nicht seekrank. Am Abend mußte ich für S.H.den Smoking vorbereiten und dann ihn erwarten. Am Mittwoch Abend war ich noch bei Madame Piraud, die hatte eine große Freude, sie wird auch noch schreiben. In London ist es sehr dreckig, das ist der ganze Eindruck von meinem Hotelzimmer aus. Paris ist viel schöner. Mitte Oktober geht es nach Toulouse, zuvor aber noch nach Zürich oder Lucerne. Von Toulouse aus schiffen wir uns wieder ein.
Für heute Schluß. Weil Ihr mir nicht schreibt, hoffe ich, ist alles in Ordnung und seid herzlichst gegrüßt von
Eurem Alex

Constantinopel ca. 1934



front of card birthday wishes
 
 
 
  


No comments:

Post a Comment